How to start the divorce process?

JaneGolden
my husband and I broke up in February - I use the phrase "separated" because legally we did not formalize anything.

We live in two different states and agreed that I would leave our 2 year old son. He has not helped financially and has not tried to maintain a relationship with our son since April, choosing instead to completely ignore this "inconvenience", and I let him do it.

when I ask a question with no background, the answer is always "call a lawyer ASAP". Is it really that simple? Is there an alternative route that will hit my pockets less? Maybe I can do it my self https://onlinedivorcer.com/blog/divorce-checklist-how-to-plan-your-divorce-properly?